Sunday, August 9, 2009

Parking at the Happiest Place on Earth

I love going to Disneyland and DCA, as you have probably figured out. The one thing that I do not like is having to deal with parking. I usually don't mind parking in the Mickey and Friends parking lot(the big structure) unless it is a busy day. On busy days parking and then riding the tram to the entrance of the resort can feel like a bad nightmare. I can't tell you how many times I have seen people almost scuffle over their place in the "stroller line".

The stroller line is found on the very first car of the tram and the very last car. It allows you to ride without having to fold your stroller. It is very popular and the wait for a spot in the first or last car is usually long. In fact the wait on a busy days for a tram can take a long long time. It is definitely not what you want to be doing when you have tired and cranky kids and have to be around other cranky people. It's just not a good combination.

Here are a couple of alternatives to parking in the Mickey and Friends parking lot($12.00) and taking the tram.

My favorite option for parking on nights when I know that I will be spending less than 3 hours is to park in Downtown Disney. If I'm heading over for the evening- I will usually park in the Downtown Disney lot. Parking is free for the first 3 hours. When I park in the DD parking lot I either take the monorail to Disneyland or walk through the Grand Californian Hotel to the DCA hotel entrance. It's easy, painless and only a short walk.

My second option would be to park in the Mickey and Friends parking structure. Take the tram in but on the way out, only have the driver in your party head on the tram(they will usually be able to squeeze right on to a tram). The rest of the party will head over to the 15 minute parking on Harbor blvd(just follow the walkway to Harbor Blvd- it's the parking lot on the right hand side) and be picked up from there. This is what we usually do on a busy day.

The last option is to park in the Mickey and Friends parking structure. Take the tram on your way in and at the end of the night, walk the path back to the structure. It's a nice walk and on a busy night you will get to your car faster walking, then waiting and loading for the tram.

1 comment:

  1. I almost never take the tram anymore. We generally park in the M&F structure, and then I walk/push my little guy in the stroller into the park. Even on the slowest days you've generally got to wait for at least two trams to get into the stroller lines, and that takes at least 10 minutes when you account for waiting in the line, loading the tram, and then driving in, and I'd rather spend that time getting in a bit of extra exercise and walking in. If nothing else, my boy is always in a better mood for waiting on the lines IN the park if we don't have to wait on lines to get TO the park.

    ReplyDelete